This Easter Long Weekend, Platinum Lawyers Sydney would like to advise its clients that double demerit Points will apply in Sydney. Double demerit points will come into effect on Friday, April 19th and continue all the way to Monday, April 22nd.
With the ANZAC Day holiday, later in the week, what you also need to know is that double demerit points will once again come to effect on Wednesday, April 24th – and last all the way to Sunday, April 28th, 2019.
Should Double Demerit Points put you off enjoying the Easter Long Weekend?
Not at all. All we’d like to say to you at Platinum Lawyers, Sydney is that ‘if you’re driving to the Royal Easter Show, or anywhere, really, in or out of Sydney – do take the necessary precautions you need to drive CAREFULLY and SAFELY – at all times.’
The Easter Break in Sydney and other States – Easter Long Weekend Holiday Dates
|2019||19 Apr||Fri||Good Friday||National|
|20 Apr||Sat||The day following Good Friday||National except for TAS & WA|
|21 Apr||Sun||Easter Sunday||ACT, NSW, QLD & VIC|
|22 Apr||Mon||Easter Monday||National|
|23 Apr||Tue||Easter Tuesday *||TAS|
How do you keep your family and children safe during the Easter Long Weekend?
Transport New South Wales has put together some guidelines which we are delighted to share with our clients at Platinum Lawyers, Sydney.
- Stay within the speed limit – speed limits are set by the RTA to keep you safe. So, make it a point to stay within them, at all times. Speeding dramatically increases your chances of you crashing your car. Not to mention the dreams of the precious cargo you carry in it. Your family. Never speed. The police will pull you over if you do.
- Do not consume alcohol, before or during your journey under any circumstances – alcohol slows your brain down, making it impossible for you to foresee incidents or avoid them. Whether you are travelling with family, or not, drinking alcohol during a long drive is never a good idea because of what alcohol will create in your – fatigue.
- Keep children buckled up and safe – children have a mind of their own. Their desire to explore can lead them to danger. Children should always be safely buckled in child car seats that are right for their age, weight and size. If you have trouble working out child restraints, you can learn How to select the child car seat that is right for your child here. Guidelines are provided by the New South Wales Centre for Road Safety.
- Make safety on the road a priority – use songs and rhymes to get the message of Road Safety during the long Easter Weekend to stick in your little ones’ minds. If you have a wi-fi connection in your car – you can play songs on safety using this YouTube link – https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/children/songsrhymes.html
Are New South Wales Police targeting drink driving, speeding, drug driving or using mobile phones while driving during the Long Easter Weekend?
Yes, they are. The penalties for drink driving, drug driving, texting while driving, or speeding during the Easter Long Weekend are heavy.
If you are caught, you will receive double demerit points. You may also be fined and lose your license depending on how many demerit points you already have on it.
You will immediately lose your license for the following offences in NSW
Ok, road penalties are heavy during the Easter Long Weekend – but is there any place families can have safe fun during the Easter break? Yes, there are many places that give you the option to have safe fun during the Easter Long Weekend. At Platinum Lawyers Sydney, we’ve put together a list of these places and the FUN things you can do with your family if you’re in Sydney.
- The Royal Easter Show – the Royal Easter Show is Sydney’s Big Day Out. With over 850,000 visitors, it’s where the City meets the Country – finally. Wood chopping, sheep shearing and dozens of other competitions will tickle your fantasy – also challenge it. https://www.eastershow.com.au/
- Sydney Sea Aquarium – Immerse yourself in a tank full of sharks – also over 700 different species of sea life. Located in Sydney’s Darling Harbour, SEA LIFE Sydney will be putting on a show that’s ‘eggstra special’ over the Easter Long Weekend. https://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-city/darling-harbour/attractions/sea-life-sydney-aquarium
- Sydney Olympic Park has it all. They’ll be open right through the Easter Long Weekend.
- Scenic World, Blue Mountains – tucked away in the Blue Mountains, Scenic World has plenty for you to see and do during the Easter Long Weekend. At Scenic World, during Easter, staff will be dishing out Hot Chocolates and Hot Cross Buns all weekend. All events are free with the purchase of a Scenic World Pass. https://www.bluemts.com.au/news/things-to-do-this-easter-weekend/
The Easter Long Weekend is here – so hop to it
Have fun – but please do so – safely. From all of us at Platinum Lawyers Sydney, we wish you a Happy and Safe Easter Long Weekend!