Site Loader

How to Extend Your Australian Visa in Light of the Coronavirus Fear?

With the Coronavirus fear gaining momentum with each passing day, Chinese tourists in Australia are desperately trying to extend their visas. Here is a guide from Platinum Lawyers on the visa and travel restrictions for Chinese people, international travellers and Australians.

How to Extend Your Visa in Australia if  You Do Not Want to Return to China?

Many Chinese tourists are hesitant to go back home to China fearing they will get infected with the coronavirus if they do.

If you wish to remain in Australia beyond the expiry of your current Australian visa, then you need to apply for a visa extension. It’s important to submit your application for further visa before your current visa expires. When you do that, a bridging visa may be granted to you, which will make it legal for you to stay in Australia while a decision is made on your application. For more information on extending your stay, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Information for Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents Travelling Back to Australia from Mainland China

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident travelling back from mainland China, you may be required to self-isolate for 14 days from the time of your departure from China. For more information on this and other travel restrictions, click here.
Coronavirus Fear

Temporary Travel Ban Due to Coronavirus Threat

If you have been to mainland China from February 1, 2020 and are neither an Australian citizen or permanent resident, then do not travel to Australia at this time. If you do attempt to do so, your airline may not allow you to board the flight.

The Department of Home affairs has advised International students and other foreign travellers notto travel via China when coming to Australia. Failure to follow this advice may result in the cancellation of their visas. Australian universities have made alternative plans for Chinese students affected by the travel restrictions. Chinese students are being offered online classes or an option to defer their studies until the travel restrictions are lifted.

Australians Stuck in Mainland China

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently stuck in mainland China and want to leave, you need to call the DFAT consular emergency line.

The Chinese and Australian Governments are working together in assisting Australian citizens and permanent residents back to Australia. Over 500 Australians and permanent residents have been brought back from China to Christmas Island till date, where they will be quarantined for 14 days. Once they are medically cleared, they will be free to return to their homes in Australia.

These travel restrictions are only temporary and will be resolved once the Coronavirus threat is deemed under control and no longer a threat.


Share this page




    I have found Platinum Lawyers to be friendly, helpful, and effective in a number of different fields of law they have assisted me with. I make no hesitation in recommending them!

    Share this page
    Corey C

    I would have no hesitation in recommending Platinum Lawyers for any future litigation matters. I found them to be very professional and their response and communication was always timely and efficient. Although the matter was unpleasant, the result and my experience was favourable. Regards

    Share this page

    “Very competent and professional”.

    Share this page
    BN 2009

    We feel Platinum Lawyers as a whole and as individuals have a great feel for the ‘customer’ and go out of the way to help.. excellent!”

    Share this page
    SS 2011

    “I think that your firm has provided excellent service regarding settlement of my wife’s estate and my recent sale of a property and arranging the discharge of my mortgage. Your the best!”


    Share this page
    Show Buttons
    Share On Twitter
    Hide Buttons